Thursday, December 13, 2012

Melbourne Art Fair

I produced a large body of work this year to be exhibited at the Melbourne Art Fair with Jan Murphy Gallery. Here are some images of the paintings I produced - the entire collection can be viewed on my website. This body of work explores notions of therapy, fractured identity and the unconscious.


These are two seperate paintings but I had intended them as a kind of pair. The whole body of work was to be hung in a cluster (salon style) so I tried to create connections between the works that could be picked up by the eye when glancing over the entire wall.

 A moment of clarity


 Cut


Superstition

In this body of work I explored collage for the first time as a reference point for my paintings. I worked with a variety of images and cut and pasted various photographs to come up with the final images for the paintings. I became interested in crystals as an extension of my investigations into notions of therapy. The crystals reference New Age therapy whilst also creating a kind of Sci-Fi element within the work.

'
The Complexes

In my exploration of notions of therapy I was particularly interested in women and psychoanalysis and the works of Sigmund Freud.

"A complex is a core pattern of emotions, memories, perceptions, and wishes in the personal unconscious organized around a common theme, such as power or status (Schultz, D. & Schultz, S., 2009). Primarily a psychoanalytic term, it is found extensively in the works of Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud."


 
Silent Running

Title taken from the 1971 science fiction film.


 Healer #1 and #2


Therapy


Tarantula


Une Vague de Reves

This is a french title which translates to 'A wave of Dreams' which relates to Freud's and book 'The Interpretation of dreams'

No comments: